Monday, March 1, 2010

The New Depression

I seem to have lost the crappy job I had. My inability to allow for an elitist attitude in people, much less an employer has done me in again. I seem to be unable to play Step'n Fetchit well enough. The ironic part is that I wrote an ad for Craigslist for another assistant that got over 800 responses in 2 days for a lousy $15 an hour job. I believe that my replacement will come from this group.
I read through many of the responses and there are some highly qualified people willing to work for $15 an hour, and my employer is hoping to find a business manager, an expert in web marketing and a legal advisor all for that price. Indeed there were MBA's, web experts, accountants, paralegals, office managers for major firms, stockbrokers, grad students, artists, actors, teenagers, young, old, every type of person applied for this job. There was even an older immigrant man who simply wrote, "Please help me to find work so that I can feed my children."
Many of the applicants spoke several languages and two had even worked at the UN. I was amazed at the number of people looking for any kind of work.
Further, I find it abhorrent to take advantage of people because of the economy. My employer on the other hand believes that Christmas has come early. It's odd because she's a therapist, but seems to be, like so many people, lacking in empathy for anyone but herself and her paying clients, of course.
I, too, took the job knowing I was being underpaid because times are hard. The unfortunate part appears to be that people think because they pay you so little that that is what you are worth.

No comments: